Monday, September 24, 2007

Brave Wings

I entered this poem and another poem "Rain" to poetry.com just for the fun of it. Apparently, this made it to the semi-finals and I got an invitation to Las Vegas for some poetry convention. It sounded so much like a scam but I kinda like the idea of my poem being a semi-finalist so bugger that! (They even sent the invitation letter to Adelaide!) If only they realised I'm this poor and stingy student who's feeding on Petronas' generosity... So this is my poem, inspired during my shower and written in 30 mins on Raimy's laptop, while waiting for dinnertime.

A bird too scared to try,
like a peacock that’s shy;
It doesn’t dare to be,
what it’s meant to be.
A bird fearful of flight?

No, I refuse to believe that is me;
I am more than what you see.

I don’t just want to fly,
I want to soar high,
like the eagles in the sky.

Mend my broken wings,
And heal my torn spirits;
Once winter turns to spring,
I will then spread my wings.


It's a simple, unprofessional poem but it meant quite a lot to me. Writing this was satisfying and liberating at the same time. Seasons will change, circumstances both good and bad will fade away.

2 comments:

adri-enne said...

Winter has already turned to spring. In fact, spring'll be summer in a little bit..

I'll be there some day.
I can go the distance.
I dun care how far, somehow I'll be strong.
I know every mile, will be worth my while.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.