Friday, February 24, 2006

Pre-Departure

It was ages since I actually made a posting. I have so much to say, so much to tell, too lazy to type them out. But I reckon regular postings would be good for me to keep everyone updated on my life overseas. Here's what happened before I left for Adelaide.

The Barbeque
I received so many gifts from guests that strangers would mistaken my farewell BBQ to be a birthday bash or something. Seriously, *hypocritically* you shouldn't have. :)
Anyway, I was expecting 15 guests and 25 showed up. Couldn't thank my dear Chehcheh more, for handling the food so well. And of course to Marcus, Jamie, Kok Kuan & Dom. Special thanks to Mom, for financing it; Tua Ee, who bought and marinated the foodstuff; Marcus, for not being a brat on that day. :P
Kok Quin and Evelyn were the first to arrive. Something in my heart stirred when I saw them. It's the last time we're hanging out together. Jamie came a little while later and the rest just turn up fashionably late. :) Not that I mind though. At least you all (and many more) came. It made me feel appreciated and love.
After the BBQ were rounds of drinking and gambling. Serious. I took four glasses of wine, Eve took 1 and I finished Chia Li's. The rest were probably worried the wine would disrupt their concentration (hence ruin their chances to win in the gamble). I drank the wine like water and that made the alcohol kick in, a little. I played my all time favourite Chor Tai Tee and I won. This was the first time I gambled with money in this game. Won the second round too. But in the subsequent rounds, my playing cards weren't as good. Next, I tried my hand in Ginrami (not quite sure how it is spelt). I cleared my hand. Heck, I didn't know half the rules of this game, but it seems I won and that everyone has to pay me RM5 each! I rejected the money! That is way too much! They placed it in front of me and a new game iniated. Not many clear their hand in this game I figured. But Hooi Fong did. I gave a five dollar bill from my win. Emptied my hand in the subsequent round. My total win that night was RM37.50! My aunts & granny spend a lot on their cigarettes but they can't quit-or so they say-so I bought them each a packet.
Slowly, the crowd got smaller. I can't believe I forgot to give Jamie & Kok Quin a hug before they leave. I can't believe I didn't send Evelyn, Chia Li and Kok Kuan. Before I slept that night, I reflected on the moments we shared. 2 words: Thank you~ with all my heart

Overloaded
"Overweight?" asked Ah Ma after I announced to the entire house I finished packing.
"Yeah by 10 kg."
"I'm asking bout the luggage la, Mei Chen, I know you're overweight by 10."
"Err.. yes la! I'm 8.5 kg overweight!"
Fine. No significant difference. Don't have to be a petroleum engineer to tell that.
Packing is the worst part of the pre-departure ordeal. I packed and unpacked numerous times and the rice cooker my parents forced me to bring's a nightmare. Then again, we're using it quite often round the house. Not me though. Still over the limit no matter how it's packed but Papa said his farewell present to me would be paying the fine for the extra kilos. :P

Goodbye
It was at the Penang airport; the furthest my family and friends could send me off. Tears well in my eyes as I hugged each and everyone of them who came, before I checked in. I will never forget you all nor what you all have invested in me; love, hopes, dreams, every single cent & every effort~ I am not the expressive type, I am poor at articulating my thoughts, but I really really love you all very much and I would really try my best to not disappoint you all again. You have my word.

7 comments:

Quin said...

FYI, "ginrami" is spelled "ginrummy". I really enjoyed this post, helped me reflect back on your last days in Penang. I was glad to be the first one to arrive and regretful to be also the first one to leave.

By the way, what do you mean "will not fail you guys again"? Where did that again come from?

Guess what. I never thought you will be the first of my friends to leave. Never even entered my mind. And when finally this fact settled in, I grew kinda sad.

But all these communication we did lately made you feel really near. We should really keep these up.

adri-enne said...

there was dis disappointment dat overwhelmed me when i share my results v u all. My hypocrisy of how happy i was, i was more embarassed than ever. I realised the feeling dat runs thru u, neva seen dis girl 4 a while.. and.. well. rather speechless myself. i felt like i dun deserve my scholarship, u gals worked so hard compared 2 me. and now, i dare not really type dis actually... I'm gonna study! i'm gonna (i've gotta!) reclaime my pride.

Quin said...

I have this really bad tendency to just type what I have in mind only to wince when I read it back a few days later.
I don't know what you're thinking, but what I wrote was not what it seemed to mean at all.
When I said I don't expect you to be the first one to leave, well, it meant I never thought I will have this circumstance where a close friend will leave me. Literally going away.
I never thought the Adrienne I knew from SKBG will go this far. But I'm glad you did. So, fly high and seize every opportunity, Adrienne.
You truly deserve what you have now.

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Any of those spiced herrings?
[b][url="http://hydrocodone.dewall.info "]cheap hydrocodone[/url][/b]